Saturday 24 October 2015

Snowdon Marathon 2015



Well it's the morning after the Snowdon Marathon and I'm wide awake , so I thought I would do a little blog as it's been a while since my last one.
So sit back and enjoy the ramblings from me.
This marathon is and I think will always be my favourite , yes it may not of been perfect weather conditions but in some ways it made the race more special.
If you have never done it I highly recommend that you try it , I'm not going to lie it's a tough one but it will be so worth it and after all as the Buff saying goes "Flat is Boring".
The race started at 10.30 am and it was wet as you can see from my photo not everyone was as happy as David about it.
For some reason I'm never nervous about this race I feel at home running in such beautiful surroundings and me and David always enjoy this one.
We started at a good pace , well I think it was good as I lent my Garmin fenix to my dad before the start as his battery had died and it felt good not to have a watch to keep looking at.
The first 4 and a bit miles slowly climb and there were quite a few runners who were paying for it early on , 
Me and David ran together and we were both feeling good it's amazing how the miles just go by and we were at the first bit of down hill in no time at all.
David was excited about the views or he had just heard someone say they were handing out food lol !!
Now it was about now that I was bursting for the toilet and for some daft reason we both thought we remembered a toilet around the 5 mile mark , phew or so I thought , we eventually found a proper brick toilet at about 10.5miles and we both made a dash to use it lol .
We both couldn't believe how good our legs were feeling and the miles were coming around quickly , the ultras these past few months have really helped us loads and the hills in training on Cannock chase have too.
We got to the half way point at bang on 2 hours and we were both fine ,by now the weather forecast had been correct and the rain had stopped.
We kept plugging away and we were passing quite a few runners , we had a plan for when we hit 22 miles and that was to keep on running and to keep smiling.
If you haven't done this race before 22 miles is where u hit a rather big climb and it just keeps on going until about 24 miles and lots of runners walk this bit us on the other hand kept going.
As I posted on Facebook earlier when the going gets tough team buff get going and to my surprise David decided to play this out of his phone as we were running up the climb, brilliant it was and it made a few other runners smile to.
The trouble with going up is you have to come down and it was very slippy and greasy from the earlier rain so you had to tread carefully.
As we hit the 25 mile point I thought we were in to beat last years time but it was just too slippy to go to mad and lots of people were falling over.
As soon as we were on the flat we went for it and we had a great finish our official chip time was 4.hours 19 mins and we were pleased with that.
So now it was time for a quick cuppa and change of kit as we were going to run back along the course to find Buff Daddy aka Les my dad who was also running,
It was really cool to run back and shout on everyone and it also gave us some time to grab some photos of the views on the course which you don't always have time to do.

My dad ran awesome and we got a few snaps of him between 24 & 26 miles 
 
So I think you can tell from this blog that me and David love this race & love running.
There were some awesome performances this weekend from our running friends at this race and it was lovely to see you all , the running community is a brilliant community to be a part off and thank you to you all for been a part of our extended family.
I also have to say a massive thank you to Buff uk www.buffwear.co.uk for all your continued support and kit and we are loving the new hat range.

Thanks also to Al pepper and Liz pepper from www.theoriginalpowercookie.co.uk for my race fuel cookies.
Next races for us will be in the USA in November whoop whoop Las Vegas baby here we come .


No comments:

Post a Comment