Sunday 17 November 2013

Rock & Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon 2013


Well it's been a good few hours since I have finished this race & once again I can't say enough about how good this race is organised .
Firstly we were staying at the Mirage Hotel & they had arranged a free shuttle bus service for there guests down to the start . Which was very well organised & we got to the start nearly 2 hours before the event started .
Which didn't matter at all as there was plenty to do & it was a lovely warm day perfect running conditions. 
There was a great band doing a gig before the race too which kept us entertained the all American rejects. Great music & witty banter I'm not sure some runners would of been impressed when the lead singer said I've never played to such a fit audience but there are a few fat runners here too!! It was a priceless moment we found it funny but some didn't ! Rock n roll stars seem to get away with saying these things .

So back to the race , both the full & the half started at 4.30 pm & depending on what finishing time you predicted you were allocated a starting pen , each pen was set off in 2 min intervals so this would make your run a more pleasurable experience and not too overcrowded. 
I was in pen 2 & my dad was in pen 4.
Just in case you don't know u can actually get married or re new your wedding vows at this race & for the first time this year it was held before the start & there were lots of couples there & then they ran the race let me just say it's a good job they didn't do this 11 years ago or I seriously would of been tempted to get married on this race. 
Straight after the service the USA national was sung and this was a lovely moment & even though I'm from the uk it was quite a emotional moment & you could see how passionate the USA are about there country ( it was a lovely to see ) & the 17 year old girl who sang it had a gorgeous echoing voice.
The race actually started 5 mins late but no one cared & as our start pen were lining up I was right at the front whoop whoop .
This was going to be a awesome race & for the first time I had a go pro attached to me to record this amazing race & yes I was still taking it serious.

The sun was just going down as we started and the first mile we ran away from the strip down to the welcome Las Vegas sign before heading back to the strip.
Ok if you have never been to Las Vegas you will find they never close the strip at night apart from two times a year and this race is one of the times & with it been at night it's just a amazing sight to see the lights & the crowd support is immense & they get very vocal good job seems to be the popular saying & the homemade signs on the course did make me chuckle !! 
One said Run like you stole something & the other one which I thought was brilliant was you paid to run this stop moaning !!! 
Back to the race one of the highlights for me was when we ran past the Bellagio fountains & they were actually on ( this is the first time in 3 years that they have actually been on when I have ran past ) 
I was feeling really good and my first 5k was run in 22 mins which I was pleased with & I was surprised with as I had been feeling really tired with jet lag beforehand. 
The race now keeps going down the strip past all the hotels till u get to old Las Vegas & into Fremont street , the only bad thing about the race was between 7 & 8 miles (I think it was )which was off the strip & very dark with no lights at all & there were very few spectators around just a odd Marshall doted about.
Fremont street was next and that was a colourful array of lights & great live bands as we ran through. It was just after here that the marathon runners & the Half marathoners split & this year I was doing the half as I've had a rather busy year with ultras & really wanted a faster race & 
to try and keep some speed in these ultra legs.
As we headed back along the strip the closer we got to the finish the noisier & busier the crowds got & I somehow got involved in a bit of a race with a older chap ( oh dear there was no way he was going to beat me ) & I was passing him & then he was passing me he really didn't want to beaten by a girl. It's funny that you can still find some extra speed in your legs when you need it & we ended up having a sprint finish & much to his annoyance lol I pipped him on the line , to be fair he did thank me in the end for dragging him to a decent time & was very  nice. 
I was really pleased with my finishing time & overall position.
I'm not convinced I'm going to make it as a go pro expert but then this was the first time that we had tried it & looking at the video footage it looks like I ran to fast as it's a bit jumpy to say the least !!! Gutted is a understatement as Ben informed me afterwards that we should have set it up different for running grrrrrrr !!
Oh well next time I'm sure it will be perfect.
My dad had a great run too & finished 5 mins quicker than last year in a time of 2.17 so well done dad you did brilliant.
A big thanks to my hubby & my mom for been our support crew again & bag carries.
I've done hundreds of races in the uk   & abroad and I can honestly say this medal is up there as one of the best ones around & it's damn heavy too . ( oh did I mention it glows in the dark ).
One thing I did notice in this race was that once again my brilliant Buff kit got noticed & the Gb Buff always gets you some shouts from fellow holiday makers / supporters I really recommend running in one if you race abroad.
Check out www.Buffwear.co.uk 

This is the amazing glow in the dark medal ( the photo doesn't do it justice ) 

Next for me is a race back in the uk on the 7th December on Cannock Chase I'm now turning into a adventure athlete & I will be competing for team Buff uk in a pair with my best buddy Heather . This really should be interesting and it consists of off road running , mountain biking & kayaking yep kayaking ( with my love of water this should be fun ) & tasks thrown in too.
Look out for my race report on this soon.
I'm also finally getting my transalpine blog finished at long last too.

No comments:

Post a Comment